Food Review: Lola's Cafe

Yes I am FINALLY starting on my food review after (*^#$*%! so long haha. I have many many earlier ones to post, but since this cafe has left a good mark on me, I decided to review it now!





Xin Yu and I went last Saturday for lunch, and we reached there around 12. I think one gripe with this cafe is that its seating capacity is very limited, with only about 30+ pax inside? So as you can see from the above picture, they've added some outdoor dining. And yes they're very popular and crowded so no matter what time of the day you visit, be prepared to queue.

Ok so when we reached, we were told that they have stopped the queueing system on their tablet because they're so crowded that waiting times are estimated to be 1 hour! Yes, 1 hour! That's just crazy... So the staff told us that if we're willing to wait for an hour then we can put our names down on her list. Honestly I was kinda annoyed because this is my second attempt trying to dine here. My first time was met with long waiting times too so we left. But I didn't wanna come back here again another time so I asked XY if she was ok waiting. And yep alrights we put our names down. Eventually we waited for about 50 minutes.




I like the design of the place, with the empty frames artfully positioned. (: The little sofa at the entrance had a cosy yet cheerful feel, but I guess it's because of the colour haha.






Even though I'm a dessert lover, I'm not enticed by the ones Lola's have to offer...


Yup here's the menu. I didn't snap a photo of the drinks menu because I don't order drinks most of the time hahaha. Habit I guess.

Ok here comes the foooood! :D


Lola's Full Monty Breakfast ($15)




I was relieved we didn't have to wait long for our food - around 10 minutes? So yep XY ordered the Lola's Full Monty Breakfast ($15) after some deliberation between this, the Avocado Eggs Benedict and the Sunny Side Stacked Sandwich.

Unfortunately I didn't try anything from this dish, but XY said it was tasty! The eggs were well scrambled and the sausage was not too salty. However she said the bacon was oily. Hmm from what I observe, I think the portion shrank a little. HAHA because when I saw all the photos on Instagram last year the plate seemed fuller. I think they cut the bread into half HAHA.


Mushroom Melt ($10)

Ahhhhh, this. This omg this. Is a must try! Hahaha I've been wanting to try this Mushroom Melt ($10) since I first saw the photo on Insta! LOL so yep I didn't have to look at the menu to know what I want to eat haha. Recently I'm having this new favourite food - mushrooms! And since I love melted cheese, what's not to like about this dish? :D



So when my food arrived, my hunger pangs had just kicked in, so it was the perfect time to dig in! The bread was crispy on the outside but soft on the inside! If I'm not wrong it's a Broiche, and it was sooo good! Soft and fluffy, just the way I like it! And when I sliced the bread the cheese pulled off in that sticky fashion... YUMMMM~




Look at the thick fluffy bread beneath the cheesey layer of mushrooms! Ah and needless to say, the mushrooms went superbly well with the cheese! 




As I'm typing this I'm hoping to see a real Mushroom Melt appear right in front of me now hahaha. It's so good I'd have gone back again if not for my not-so-free schedule...

Overall I think the food is tasty and affordably priced. They don't have GST and service charge so that's a plus point! Nevertheless service was good and I think the staff are all kinda used to telling customers nicely about the long waiting times haha. Hmm as for whether the food is worth a one hour wait, I think if you're hungry then just skip this and move on somewhere else. But if you don't mind walking at Heartland Mall (though there's nothing much to see) to pass time then why not? That was precisely what XY and I did haha. Unfortunately there's no ambience since the cafe is perpetually filled with people.

Speaking of the crowd, before this visit I always wonder whether Lola's is really that good or is it just overrated. Hmm after eating the food... I know I'll definitely return again. (: (But of course on a weekday when it's slightly less packed.)



Lola's Cafe
5 Simon Road
Singapore 545893
Tues - Thurs 1000 - 2330
Fri - Sat 1000 - 2400
Sun 1000 - 2330
Closed on Mondays

0 Comments