Food Review: Assembly Coffee


A for Assembly Coffee! This is another cafe that is part of the third wave coffee movement. Located at Evans Lodge beside the MOE CCAB branch (near Botanic Gardens), it's quite inaccessible via public transport. But I've heard a lot about their waffles hence I was determined to go down and try it!



It's a very small cafe and I took the above photo right at the entrance. There are only 8 tables for 2-4 sharing and one communal table with the high stools in the middle.




Their shelves of desserts and pastry was really tempting!








Mocha ($5)

SH ordered a Mocha ($5) and she said it was nice, but not the best she's ever drank (which I think is from The Lokal).


Chocolate & Strawberries Buttermilk Waffles ($11.50)

Since I was here for the waffles, I ordered the Chocolate & Strawberries Buttermilk Waffles ($11.50). The waffles were light and crispy and I really like it! It didn't taste gelat at all even towards the end, which is something I definitely approve of haha. But I guess it could be because the batter is a bit sweet and not so heavy. The waffles is topped with a scoop of New Zealand's Natural Vanilla ice cream and one strawberry (yes to be exact), and drizzled with chocolate sauce. Yeap that's the only part that the chocolate is featured lol. (Not that I'm complaining cos I'm not a fan of chocolate...)


Earl Grey Caramel Buttermilk Waffles ($11.50) 

SH ordered the Earl Grey Caramel Buttermilk Waffles ($11.50) and it is exactly the same as mine just that the sauce is earl grey caramel. Yup the batter, ice cream and strawberries are the same.



Assembly Coffee is one of the rare cafes that I visit a second time! Haha it's because I saw something else on their menu that I really wanted to try - Assembly's Brick Toast ($12)!


Assembly's Brick Toast ($12)

'Shibuya' inspired honey brick toast topped with vanilla ice cream, artisan honey Greek yogurt and fruits, this dish is really a sweet, sweet, sinful one! People who have tried it said it was very sweet, and even though I like desserts, I can't stand food that's too sweet. So I requested to leave out the honey heh. But guess what? When my plate arrived, I was so shocked to see the huge crystals of sugar stuck to the pieces of toast! Hahaha imagine my horror. I was like ohmygoodness I'm en route to getting diabetes man... ><



My second reaction was the portion. It's biggg gosh. I saw it on photos before but seeing it real right in front of my eyes was quite alarming. Haha but I love toast so... xD Anyway the toast was so crispy that you can literally hear the cracking sound when cutting it! I love it and somehow the sweetness didn't get to me that much (as I would have expected). This dish also gets the thumbs up from me because it comes with three of my favourite food: ice cream, Greek yogurt and strawberries! It was a good combination on the whole, especially with a bit of the sour-ish Greek yogurt paired with the sweet toast. Surprisingly it wasn't too filling as well, despite the size. Presentation wise it's really creative and different from the usual ways of serving a Shibuya honey toast.



Despite the relatively inaccessible location, I'd go back to Assembly Coffee for its quality and reasonably-priced food (no GST or service charge). The waffles are easily one of the best I've eaten in Singapore, and the honey toast (which is rather new) is good too! During my next visit I'll wanna try their Smoked Salmon Criossant, also one of their popular dishes.



Assembly Coffee
26 Evans Lodge
Singapore 259367
Tues - Sun 0800 - 1900
Closed on Mondays
6735 5647
Website
Facebook