Why I think I'm PATRIOTIC ((=

It's the time of the year again where we hear familiar NDP songs, see our National Flag around, and feel that sense of patriotism in the air~ Yes it's National Day once again!

I remember one year ago on 9th August I was in school studying at the Wishing Well hahaha. With Hui Yie! Oh my those times...

Anyway, to be honest this year I didn't really feel the National Day mood enough, since I'm not schooling at the moment. So it seems all too fast that today is Nat Day! I miss the times in school where we have community singing, or just any events or celebrations for Nat Day. Cedar is the best man, our human train in the hall with all the community singing, how we'll all pour our hearts out to sing~~ So many times I feel like crying because the mood and atmosphere and sense of patriotism is just overwhelming! :') Not forgetting the NDP marching parade, how I was the Contingent Commander for Guides in Sec 3!! Whoa I felt so proud for that, and I remember our marching was up to standard and very good! :D Good times, good times...

So much memories for National Day, and I think some of these are indeed shared memories for school students of my age. It's very humbling and heartwarming to see students still enjoying community singing. I really hope that as the years go by and for the newer generations, such practices and celebrations will continue and that it'll imbue patriotism in them. (:

Yes, now on to a more controversial issue: patriotism. What is patriotism to you? I think that to myself sometimes, and at the same time, I also feel like asking people this question. Just go on the streets today and ask if people are patriotic about their country. Or go ask the students these days. Not even 'these days' actually. My generation too. It's so hard to come across someone who loves our country genuinely. I say genuinely because some people only 'like' Singapore when we win medals in sports, or when the weather is nice etc. I feel these are rather superficial reasons.

To me, being patriotic is to love your country because of how far it has come. To love your country because you're grateful for what it has done for you. To love your country simply because it is your home. 

Too many people are complaining too much about our country. Public transport too crowded? How about just be thankful that you're able to make your way home safely and reasonably quickly every day? Angry over the influx of foreign workers? Well without them, where would you get your roads and MRT tracks, your houses and your schools? Education system too stressful? How about just be grateful that you have the chance to be educated, unlike children from other countries?

Sometimes when I hear people complain, I feel like shushing them and reminding them to count their blessings. When people say they hate Singapore and wanna migrate, I feel like telling them to go ahead and see if there's anywhere else that's better than Singapore. When people dislike Singapore because they dislike PAP, I feel like explaining to them that loving your country shouldn't have anything to do with politics.

So many times I feel like saying something but I shut up because I don't wanna step onto some dangerous minefield and get slammed instead.

Well, on a positive note, here are just some reasons why I love Singapore (in no particular order):

- It's safe.
Singapore is so safe relative to other countries, and I'm so thankful for that! It's perfectly normal to walk alone on the streets when night falls and I don't have to worry (too much) about whether I'll be harmed. Imagine if you have to hurry home by 6pm every day just so you don't have to be out at night and expose yourself to danger. Isn't that even more restrictive?

- It's developed and efficient.
I guess this is part of the city girl in me, since I grow up in a time where Singapore is already developed with good infrastructure and relatively clean streets. We have very efficient road systems and public transport too. I say that even though there are more breakdowns these days, but think about it: what are the chances of you getting caught in the train? In London and other cities, breakdowns occur as often as weekly and the people are already used to it. I'm thankful that we have a reliable public transport for me to get around with ease and convenience.

- It has a just and capable Government.
I know I said earlier that one should love his country no matter his political affiliation. But I am thankful for our Government for coming up with policies that benefit Singaporeans in the long run. Key note, it's in the long run. Many Singaporeans are short-sighted and fail to recognise that a lot of things being done at the official level is for the long term in mind. It has to be sustainable. Things like the CPF, even though I don't know the details, I know that it's meant to benefit Singaporeans in the long run, when they're old and when inflation is probably higher in future. True, there are hiccups and not every Government is perfect. But in my humble opinion, our leaders are working and have worked very hard for us Singaporeans.

- The food!
Hahaha this is easily the first thing that fellow Singaporeans will say. So not much elaboration needed eh? ;)

- It's multi-racial.
Other cities/countries that are multi-racial are not doing as well as us (I think). I love how I comfortably hang out with friends from other races, and we embrace each other's unique culture. Some even crack racist jokes against their races haha. We don't care about who's Chinese or Malay or Indian or mixed, we just get along well with each other and I love that. Even for older Singaporeans, it's quite evident that they have no qualms with communicating with people from other races. I hope this racial harmony can get even stronger in the years to come! (:

Most importantly why I love Singapore is that this is my home. I grow up here, I have so much memories of this place, my family and friends are here... I've had an enjoyable time growing up, and I'm very grateful for this place with the opportunities being presented to me, the clean HDBs I live in, the parks and open spaces I go to exercise etc etc. It's the little things that make you feel thankful and happy that you're here in this place.

Honestly, I don't need National Day to arouse such feelings of patriotism in me. After I jog in the park, I feel very grateful to have such a wonderful and lovely green space for me to sweat it out, relax and relieve stress. Those quirky behaviour of Singaporeans? Choping seats with tissue packets and umbrellas may be quite an ugly thing to do, but hey that's #sosingaporean. It's quite funny how our kiasu-ism has evolved over time and become so apparent amongst Singaporeans. It's these things that make our country uniquely Singapore!

Just now while watching the NDP celebrations on TV, during the part where we recite our pledge followed by sing the National Anthem, I felt so, so proud of Singapore. In fact, every time I feel that way. I can't help but feel so joyous; the mood is so uplifting I feel like crying sometimes! Haha, I think about how our country struggled in its infant years, our pioneers working so hard to build up our country, and now how far we've come today. It's really amazing and I'm so proud of our country! 

Yes I am blabbering on, but I type whatever thoughts that come to my mind. I get very annoyed when I see people who usually complain hell lot about Singapore suddenly become all lovey to their country on Nat Day. Seriously? It's so... hypocritical. Oh well... That's why my wish for the country every year, is that more Singaporeans can be more appreciative of what they have and of our country. Of course I don't expect people to be enthu and patriotic like me, but just count your blessings and be glad that you're living in Singapore.

I'm very fortunate to be born and living in this country, and as cliche as it sounds, there's no other place I'd call home but Singapore. <3 Happy 49th Birthday, Singapore!



P/S: This is not propaganda but just my views and opinions as a Singaporean. (: