Of results and Open Days

Hello everyone yes I've noticed I had a short hiatus of two weeks. Haha, I was busy with all the uni + scholarship applications + work.

The Monday after my previous post was the A Level Results Day. Like, D-Day. *jangjangjang* Ok enough of the drama. Yeah so everyone was very nervous and scared for their results, me included. I mean, who won't? For me I've been thinking about this day even before As started. Yes very exaggerated, I know. But I always think of results day to scare myself and 'motivate' myself to work hard. I'd imagine the Bs and Cs on my results slip and how sad and regretful I'd be for not studying harder... HAHA then I'd snap out of my daydreams and get back to work. Well this seems to work for me (even though it does give me a lot of pressure). I'm very, very thankful for having achieved my this set of results. So proud of myself that my efforts have paid off! It really wasn't easy, those days when I slogged so hard and pushed myself... Glad that there's a proper and happy closure to this whole A Level journey. (:

Now it's time to look ahead! I've been mired in a lot of uni + scholarship applications work. The week before results day plus the next few days of it I was super stressed cos I was trying for scholarships and there's so much to prepare for them! Each scholarship has its own personal statement/questions applicants have to answer. And plus for me I'm applying to as many as I can since it's highly competitive out there... So yeah that gave me a lot of work to do. :( But oh well, I tell myself not to complain. This is the reality after all. It's really damn competitive out there; it's not like you apply for one and you'll get it. Sighpie woes of a student in Singapore nowadays... Haha no lah just kidding, I'm not gonna turn into a critique of Singapore's education system.

The following Saturday was NTU Open House. Honestly I'm really not interested in studying at NTU. But I thought since so many people are going, I should just go and have a look too. (Yes peer pressure at its best. -.-) Here's three reasons why I don't wanna go NTU.
1. The distance. Yes omg I'm one of the many many people who complain about the distance. It's really on the ultimate western tip of the island! Pioneer MRT station eh it's not even at Jurong East! Haha even though I generally like taking trains and don't mind travelling, I think on a daily basis, I won't be able to take this long commute to and fro school!
2. They don't have the course I want - Geography. As much as I'm trying to widen my choices, I really just can't give up Geog! I really, really love Geog and I've set my mind on taking it since JC. Or maybe even sec school. Haha. But they do have another course I'm quite interested in - Public Policy and Global Affairs. It's like a mix between Political Science and International Relations, which I've recently taken an interest into. But go back to the second sentence of this para, yes I can't give up Geog.
3. Hmm I feel NTU won't give me as vibrant a campus life as NUS. I know this is very subjective, because I don't have full information, but it's just the feel that I get...

Okayy so done with NTU Open House! Just on Saturday was NUS Open Day. Haha, saving the best for the last! I was very excited to go for NUS Open Day because there's really a lot I wanna find out about the school, the courses and programmes etc. Ok actually I would say I know the basic stuff already cos Sis is there plus she's in UTown so hehe. The organisation was good, and partly because it's all located within UTown so it's easier to get around. There were sooo many talks I wanted to attend! I went for 4 back-to-back talks hahaha. But this is really a time where I find out as much about the school as possible, so, kiasu a bit luh LOL. And because I only reached at 12.45 I only had the afternoon to spare. Sounds like quite a lot of time right? Lol but considering how I went for 4 talks... I only had one hour plus to roam around + talk at the booths.

I'm very impressed with the programmes and the various opportunities for the students, be it overseas trips, internships or field work etc. It really makes me look forward to having a student life there! Haha. And of course, the halls all look so exciting and happening, perhaps a bit too much for me. xP But I love the Residential Colleges, where you get to learn, play and live there! I'm looking for an active and vibrant student life in Uni so all these student-related activities definitely helps. (:

So... after all the rambling about results and Unis, I would say I'm definitely looking forward to my future ahead and starting a new life in Uni! But of course, I'm also treasuring this period of time right now - no school + holiday all day every day! Hahaha. Oh btw my teaching internship just ended last Friday. :( Which is why right now I'm not working. More details about that in another post!

0 Comments